This time next month, I will be back in the Ukraine (yay!) for a 2-week missions trip to love on and play with orphans in Vorzel and Gordnya. As I reflect on my trip last year and look forward to what is to come ... here is my TOP 5 for why I'm returning to the Ukraine!
1. The kids! By far, the faces of the kids is what drives me to go back ... to be able to give these kids some one-on-one attention and love ... to share with them about Jesus' love for His children. My heart is filled with mixed emotions about seeing kids that I spent time with last year. While I'd love so much to see them again, I also hope that I don't because that would mean that they have been adopted.
2. The translators! My Ukrainian friends! So many good conversations, long walks around lakes, laughs over meals, and so much more. Yellow Blue Bus Guys!!
3. All the fresh cucumbers and tomatoes a girl could ask for! :)
4. Living out James 1.27 "Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you."
5. Opening myself up for what God wants for me on this trip.
Below is a the list of needed items that we are collecting to deliver to the kids and staff in the Vorzel and Gordnya Orphanages.
If you are a yardsale shopper ... if you find any of these items ... we'd love to bless the Ukraine kids and the orphanage staff with these items! All items except for the underwear can be used. If you have any questions or would like to arrange for pick-up or drop-off, please feel free to contact ukrainekids [at] nlcf [dot] net. **The last day we will be collecting items is July 11, 2010.**
UKRAINE KIDS List! - touch books (books that have fur, sandpaper, bumpy pages, smooth pages, etc.) - music books (books that play music) - mobiles (to hang above cribs) - sensory toys (anything that engages any of the 5 senses) - sound machines - tights (all sizes up to age 6) - tank tops (all sizes up to age 6) - boys and girls underwear (all sizes up to age 6) **these items should be NEW** - towels - sports equipment for small kids (small basketball, small soccer ball)
Orphanage Staff List! (it is preferred that these items are new or like new ... the following items are given to the orphanage staff as gifts.) - scarves - umbrellas - jewelry - make-up & nail polish - body soaps & lotions